Thursday, December 13, 2012

Medium Format?

I have had the opportunity this term to introduce the second years to capturing using medium format gear. As a professional photographer there are many reasons why I shoot medium format with my PhaseOne equipment. I like to bring this experience to the classroom so that they all have a chance to at least understand the basics of medium format capture and the quality of the files that it creates. I go through and demonstrate how to use the camera system, PhaseOne digital back, shooting tethered and use of the CaptureOne Pro software for processing. I then turn the tables on them and break them into groups of 4 to 5 and have them shoot this assignment tethered using the PhaseOne system. The creative is left up to them and they are given 1 1/2 hours to collectively work together to light and capture their idea. Once again a real world scenario working under a tight time constraint. It was interesting to see the final results and variation in ideas amongst the four groups. I was pleased with the final results and the opportunity they had to capture an idea using medium format PhaseOne gear.





No comments:

Post a Comment